Thursday, March 13, 2008

Child-Biker Down

This week has started the two older children biking to school. Austin usually rides with me to work and then continues on to school. Last night on our way home from the church, we went through the park and there was a huge lake of water across the sidewalk from all the melting. This morning that lake was slightly frozen on top and the edges were really slick.

Being the lazy person I am, I'm still running my studded tires. Austin wasn't so fortunate. He went down on the very edge when he thought it was okay to pedal again. I have taught him that it's best to not pedal in places that are icy, but he was bitten by the black ice.

Being the trooper he is, he got up, wiped it off and soldiered on. Being the teacher that I am, I asked him if he was glad that he had his helmet on. He's getting to that age where I think he feels a little peer pressure now that he's in middle school that "helmets aren't cool". Unfortunately for him, helmets are not optional in our household.

2 comments:

Biking Duluth said...

Good job to him for getting back on and for wearing the helmet. I think if you ask the majority of your readers if helmets are "cool" or not, you'll find the majority does wear them, regardless (but yea, they're "cool")...
Props on having your kids ride to school!!!

Anonymous said...

Good on ya!
I don't even ride with my grandkids without ALL of us wearing our helmets.
The consequences are just to scary to consider....