Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Long Bonk of a Commute

I make no mistakes for having a bad day of riding. We all have them from time to time. Yesterday was one of those for me. I left Vermillion for Sioux Falls to work at the (last ever) North Central Conference Track Meet. I got a bit of a late start leaving at 11:00am. The wind was ENE around 10 so it was a side/head wind. I was doing great for the first 30 or so, but all of a sudden my back tightened up, I was getting a head ache, and my legs felt thick. I already thought that my speed was way slow so I was glad when I got the call that my friend/co-worker at the meet was leaving town so I headed toward the interstate to meet him and give up my quest of making it to Sioux Falls so I would not be late to the meet.

After guzzling a quart of chocolate milk (my favorite recovery drink) and liter of Mountain Dew, a bottle and a half of water, and an Amp that my wife sent along for my headache, and a trip to the bathroom, it was evident that I was a bit dehydrated (without going into the details). Lessoned learned.

I don't think I've mentioned that I took all computers off my bike so I could "enjoy" my summer riding more. I do carry my Garmin 301 in my jersey pocket to download data afterwards however. It could be a good thing, or a bad thing. Even with the wind, I averaged 16mph which is better than I though, but I'm still not anywhere near the shape I was in this time last year. It will come with time...

Garmin ride details HERE.

No comments: