Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Coffee Button

Parents, you all have those "adorable" moments with your children, especially when they are small. My latest installment of a moment like this concerns "The Coffee Button". This has been going on for some time, but lately it has come to be a source of even greater excitement for Carson.

First, a step back as I explain what "the coffee button" is. I have a little grinder for my coffee and a seperate cappuccino maker. For the past few months, when he's avaialable, Carson comes running when I ask him to push "the coffee button" on my grinder. He will drop whatever he is doing and in any part of the house for this honor. It's his moment as a big boy to be able to help Dad. Well, a couple days ago he was awake and I forgot to ask him to push the button. He was crushed when he came running to the sound of the grinder to say the least. I had to pick him up and hold him while I made the latte. He never cried, but the pout spoke volumes about how he felt. I put him on the stove while I steamed the milk and afterward I wiped off the thermometer and had Carson put it away.

It's amazing how something so simple is such a big moment for a 2.5 year old. Of course now he has a second "job" to do putting the thermometer away, but it will be a while before I forget the hurt I caused by forgetting the importance of "the coffee button".

No comments: