Friday, October 20, 2006

Too Young to Die

41 years old. It’s too young to die, especially of cancer. Especially when you are leaving three children still in school behind with no father.

The family went to our church after they moved to Vermillion. Big, strong guy…ex-college football player, somewhat of a typical jock, but still a wonderful guy. His demise from cancer was brutal. Every bad thing that cancer could take from you was taken from him and it was one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen.

When he passed away last week, it didn’t come as a shock as we knew that he was in hospice care, but as always is the case, it doesn’t make it any easier to swallow. Part of the “hard to swallow” part comes from the fact that I myself am nearly 40 years old. This could be me. My own mortality doesn’t scare me mind you, but what it would do to my wife and kids right now would be devastating. I can’t begin to fathom my wife having to be a single Mom of three.

I came home from the funeral and my youngest met me in the kitchen with a big hug. He let go after a couple seconds, but I didn’t. I wanted to hold him a long time, and fortunately he let me. When the time comes Lord, if it be Your will, let my kids be in a position where they don’t need me as much as they need me now.

No comments: