Tuesday, February 19, 2008

After Effect of the Fall?

I left for work this morning, got all of 1/2 a block from home when I noticed that it seemed the seat was pointed UP a bit. I had never adjusted the down-sloping seat since I bought the bike from Snakebite so that was peculiar.

What happened next could have been a perfect Wile E. Coyote moment. I looked down at my seat and at that very moment the seat simply fell apart and off the bike. The only saving grace is that I have a storage wedge that attaches via velco to the seat and seat post. It's the only thing that kept if from splatting all over the place. I nearly had a heart attack as I almost landed on my back tire. I amazingly pulled myself up by tugging on the handle bars all without wiping out.

I grabbed all loose parts and stood up for the short ride back to the house. A brief look showed that the bolt simply broke off and it must have finally unthreaded itself to the point that it fell apart. Any fat ass jokes made at this point will be funny, but unnecessary: I know I have a fat ass. I put Ol Yeller back into service for the day as I had to get to work and didn't have time or the right bolt to get it fixed correctly.

I'm not sure if this all started with the fall Saturday night or not, but it's my best guess. You all can stop laughing now. More moments of cycling excitement for me.

2 comments:

Lindsey J said...

Perhaps it cracked a little in your fall and the cold today just finished it off...Good thing you didn't get racked!

Snakebite said...

Note to self: Bugs finally worked out on "James Bond" style self destructing seat. It now works perfectly. All systems go for world domination.