Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday Ride

I had one taker on a longer ride for a Good Friday afternoon. Reid R. came along for a 75 miler as we both were trying to get a decent early season ride in training for the 2009 Gut Check. Considering how little any of us have been able to get out this spring, it was a little more than either of us was ready for. Pushing into the wind for the first 25 miles may have had something to do with that, but by the time we hit the hills south of Irene, we were both pretty baked.

After stopping at the PIT in Wakonda for a Newcastle Brown Ale (energy drink) the last 21 miles back to Vermillion went from decent pace, to slower, to survival. Reid told me to go on that he would make it at his own pace, but it was a good excuse for me to slow down and I wanted to make sure my riding partner ended up getting back safely.

It was definitely a good early season test. The temps were a little cool and sun never really made it's way through so the leg muscles never got to warm up properly. I may have hurt the young 22 year old on this ride, but I'm almost positive that he will return the favor in the future as he has the confidence and the time to become a great cyclist.

No comments: