Monday, December 08, 2008

Early Sunday Ride After a Light Snow Dusting

I had to be at church a little early to go over a few songs so I rode my bike--yeah, I would have rode anyway, but that's not the point. The point is that there was a real light dusting of snow from Saturday night. Not much, but enough to cover the entire streets.

As I rolled out there was no wind and although it was chilly, it was a beautiful morning. The undisturbed snow on the side streets made a wonderful sound crunching lightly under my wheels. My one mile trip to the church turned out to be a 3.5 mile excursion as I rode around listening to the snow make it's own version of music. I would have rode longer, but I was already a little later getting to church than I wanted to be.

I could just leave this as a beautiful morning story, but the down side was that by the time I went to the USD Women's Basketball game the roads were a sloppy mess...and I forgot to clip my fender on. I was a speckled-back-mud-skipper by the time I got home from the dome. Damn I hate that! It was still worth it to enjoy the beautiful morning. I am starting to appreciate the cold weather riding. Still looking forward to spring already, but it was nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love riding or walking in new snow, most especially if I am the only one doing it, before daylight.
It's magical...

Anonymous said...

Tonight's ride from work was much the same. Perfectly still and fresh snow all over. So pleasant.